+61 2 8936 0610
+61 2 8936 0712
G Block, Level 1, Room G109, Art & Design Campus, UNSW
Fang Xu is currently an Associate Professor in Art & Design, UNSW where he is the Coordinator of Environments / Spatial Design.
Fang Xu’s expertise is drawn from his cross-cultural background, a wide range of professional design experience and interdisciplinary research interests. With more than thirty years experience as a practicing designer and tertiary educator both in Australia and overseas, Fang has a deep understanding of the nature of design, and its social influences and cultural values that shape contemporary design education and practice.
As an educator, Fang’s interest in design education is on the relationship between culture, design process and design methodology. The research examines the influence of cultural manifestation on design teaching and learning in both Australian and Asian Universities’ contexts. It also investigates the increasingly hybrid nature of inter-disciplinary approach in response to the transformation of the design industry in the real world.
As a researcher, Fang is interested in issues central to design practice in the changing context of values, objectives, and methods. His recent research concentrates on the role of public participation, community engagement, social innovation and design intervention in design practice. This approach is reflected in his research outcomes of studying public open space, urban renewal, aged care and other topics relating to the theme of social sustainability.
As a practicing designer, Fang has gained a profound understanding of the cutting edge design practices and the future trend of the profession through constantly involving in competitions with leading design institutes. He has substantially built up his reputation and gained professional recognition by continuously winning a number of significant national-level urban / landscape design, architecture and design projects. After many years’ involvement and completion of a large number of projects ranging from small budget objects to multimillion mixed-use urban developments, Fang has cumulated rich design practice experience in the built environment / design industry. His expertise and first-hand professional experience in contemporary design practice is very valuable for both his teaching and research.
MEMBERSHIPS / REGISTERATION
- Member of Design Institute of Australia, Registered No. 1102
- Member of China Institute of Interior Designers (formerly the China Institute of Interior Architects), Registered No. 112
- Member of Australian Institute of Landscape Architects, Registered No. 004618
SELECTED DESIGN AWARDS
- 2010 The Finalist of Australian Interior Design Awards 2010, Interior design for “Water Cool”, a Tea/Coffee House (240sqm), Beijing, China http://blog.cofa.unsw.edu.au/?p=2273 http://australianinteriordesignawards.com/gallery/2010/3/346
- 2010 National Sustainable Design Award of Small Scale Architectural Design for Opal Furniture Company, a mixed-use office (5800sqm) including design studios, offices and display rooms in Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 2007 The 1st Price of the National Planning & Architectural Design Competition for the National History Museum of Overseas Chinese, Beijing (14,000sqm), China http://www.chinanews.com/shipin/2011/09-08/news44066.html
- 2006 The 1st Price of the International Concept Design Competition for National High Technology Park (7.1ha & 360,000sqm), West Lake District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 2005 The 2nd Price of International Concept Design Competition for planning for Ecotourism Park of mixed-use development (600ha), Xinhua, Jiangsu province, China
- 2004 Annual Design Award of Jiangsu province for Planning and Architectural Design for the East Garden(16ha), Shenze town, Jiangsu province, China
- 2003 Award of the Best Landscape Design of Zhejiang province for Planning & Landscape Design of the Century Square (9ha.), New City Centre district, Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 2003 National Award of Urban Renewal Design Project for design & renovating the Historical & Commercial Street (Five Horses Street, 420m long, 12-18m wide), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 2002 National Award of the Best Urban Landscape Design for Hai Tan mixed-use public commercial square design (17,500 sqm), Wen Zhou City, ZheJiang Province, China
- 2000 The 1st Price of National Design Competition for the Headquarter of the Communication Bank (Wenzhou Branch, 20,000sqm), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 1999 The Finalist of International Design Competition for the History & Science Museum (36,000sqm), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 1999 The 1st Price of International Concept Design Competition for The Urban Design of the Commercial & Culture Centre, Nanshan district (29.7ha), Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China
- 8, 2014 Exhibition planning and design for "Explore Chinese Universities Museums", sponsored by UNSW & The National Educational Alliance of University & College Museum, China, Aug. 20 - 25, Red Centre West Wing Gallery, UNSW, Sydney, http://confuciusinstitute.unsw.edu.au/news/explore-chinese-university-mu...
- 10, 2012 Connecting Cockatoo Island, Sydney Architecture Festival 2012, exhibited at: 3 manning St, Potts Point, Sydney, 29 October - 10 November 2012, http://www.be.unsw.edu.au/content/connecting-cockatoo-project-essay-integrated-thinking
SELECTED EXECUTED DESIGN PROJECTS
- 9. 2011 - 10. 2014 Planning, architectural and landscape design: National History Museum of Overseas Chinese (14,000sqm), Beijing
- 2007-2010 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Cultural Centre of Lin Qing City (26,000 sqm buildings including museum, art galleries and performing theater), Shandong province, China
- 2009 Interior design: the Water Cool (240 sqm prestigious tea/coffee room), CBD, Chao Yang district, Beijing.
- 2006-2010 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Bei Hua Business Hotel (24,000 sqm), Dong Cheng district, Beijing
- 2005-2007 Planning, architectural, interior and landscape design: FengLian Mountain Resort (1400sqm), Qing Cheng Mountain, Du Jiang Yan city, Sichuan province, China
- 2004-2005 Planning, landscape design and sculpture/art works design: New City Cultural Square (90,000 sqm), Lin Qing city, Shandong province, China
- 2003-2008 Architectural and landscape design: Mixed-use office building (5800sqm) including design studios, offices and display rooms for Opal Furniture Company, WenZhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 2002-2004 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Mixed-use development for the Eastern Garden (16ha), Shi Chang Road, Shen Ze Town, Wu Jiang city, Jiangsu province, China
- 2001-2003 Planning, landscape and object design: New Urban Centre Square (92,000 sqm) and Landmark Glass Tower (68 m high), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 1999-2002 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Urban Renewal Project of the Historical & Commercial Street (Five Horses Street 420m long, 12-18m wide), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 2000-2004 Planning, architectural, interior and landscape design: Headquarter of the Communication Bank (Wenzhou Branch, 20,000sqm), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China
- 1999-2001 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Hai Tan mixed-use public commercial square design (16,000 sqm), Wenzhou City, Zhejiang Province, China
- 1997-1998 Planning, landscape design& documentation: Water fountain and open space of China Town Mall Refurbishment, Brisbane, Australia
- 1995 -1996 Interior design and documentation: Renovation design for the Art Gallery/Museum (1,200sqm) of Brisbane City Hall, QLD, Australia
- 1993 -1994 Planning, architecture and interior design for Gordon primary school & preschool, Gordon, Canberra, ACT, Australia
- 1992 -1993 Architectural and interior design for the Gymnasium/Drama Centre, St Clare's College, Griffith, Canberra, ACT, Australia
- 1990 -1991 Architectural and interior Design for the residential building of retired Prof. Pentony’s house, New South Wales, Australia
- Xu, F. (2016). Developing an Integral Approach for Chinese Design Education: a Spatio - Temporal Framework, in Siu MKW, Giovanni JC edited book Design Education for Fostering Creativity and Innovation in China, IGI Global, Hershey, Pennsylvania USA. pp.49 - 77. http://www.igi-global.com/book/design-education-fostering-creativity-innovation/152858
- Xu, F., Mo. F.J. & Chen, Y.Y. (2016). 'A Socially Responsible Design to Rebuild Cultural Self-Confidence: A Case Study on the Design of a Village Revitalization Project,' Journal of Design, Business & Society, Volume 2, Number 2, 1 October 2016, pp.127-145 (19), http://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/dbs/2016/00000002/00000002/art00002, http://dx.doi.org/10.1386/dbs.2.2.127_1
- Xu, F., He, Y.X. & Khan, I. (2016). Revealing the Layers of the Rocks: A Visual Reinterpretation for an Urban Historical Site, in Brown, T. and Castellanos, A. edited book Chiselled Horizons: a multi-cultural approach to visual literacy. pp.37 - 55. Inter-‐Disciplinary Press, Oxford, United Kingdom. http://www.interdisciplinarypress.net/product/chiselled-horizons-a-multi-cultural-approach-to-visual-literacy/
- Xu, F., He, Y.X. & Khan, I. (2015). 'Revealing the Layers of the Rocks: a visual reinterpretation for an Urban Historical Site', paper prsented to the Creativity & Visual Literacy: Supporting, Sensing and Seeing, Lisbon, Portugal, 22 - 24 March. http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/at-the-interface/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Revealing-the-layers-of-The-Rocks-Final.pdf
Chen, Z.; Longbottom, C.; Xu, F. (2015). Beijing New Courtyard Housing Living -- an examination of Ju'er Hutong's residential satisfaction on the courtyard housing design, 3rd International Conference on Liveable Cities, 30 Nov. - 02 Dec. 2015, Malaysia. http://irep.iium.edu.my/46278/1/Proceeding_ICLC_2015.pdf
- Xu, F., Chen, Y.Y. & Mo. F.J. (2014). ‘What Do the Remote Mountain Villagers Need? - Villagers' notion of wellbeing’, Touchpoint - Journal of Service Design, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 60 – 65. http://www.service-design-network.org/current-issue-tp6-2/
- Xu, F., Li, C. & Huang, W.X. (2014). ‘Seeking an Alternative Approach for Preparing Studio Project Brief’, paper presented to The Future of the Discipline, Australian Council of University Art & Design Schools (ACUAD) 2014 Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 1-3 October. http://vcamcm.unimelb.edu.au/assets/art/acuads%20draft%20Sept.pdf
- Xu, F. (2014). Curator for the Design Exhibition - "From Concept to Reality", Red Centre Gallery, West Wing, UNSW, Kensington, Sydney, Australia, 23 – 28 Sept. https://www.artdesign.unsw.edu.au/whats-on/events/from-concept-reality
- Xu, F. (2013). ‘The Art of Designing Design’, Keynote speaker for 2013 Designers Summit, China Institute of Interior Design, Nanning, China, 25 October, http://www.ciid.com.cn/special/2013haerbin/2013/201311/2013110601.html
- Xu, F. & Wong, Q. 2013 ‘A Contemplation Effect in Metropolitan - a case study through adaptation progress’, paper presented to 7th International Conference on Planning & Design, Tainan, Taiwan, 20-24 May.
- Xu F. 2012 ‘Re-Examining Community Transformation in Housing Development in China’s Urbanization Process’, paper presented to the 6th International Conference on Built Environment in Developing Countries (ICBEDC), School of Natural and Built Environment, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia, 4 - 5 December
- Xu, F. 2012 ‘Rediscovering the Hidden Values with an Alternative Approach in Old City Renewal Task’, paper presented to ICWSAUD2012, School of Housing, Building and Planning, Univesiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia, 3-5 March
- Xu F. 2012 ‘The World of Newsdays’, N Magazine, vol. 10, no. 36, pp. 56 - 59, http://www.nmagazine.com.cn/more/24/122
- Xu, F. 2011 ‘Approaching Meaningful Public Participation in Urban Planning Formulation’, paper presented to 5th International Conference of Built Environments in Developing Countries, (ICBEDC), Penang, Malaysia, 5-7 December
- Xu, F. 2011 ‘Dimension of Social Innovation as New Perspective for Practice of Design Management’, paper presented to Tsinghua – DMI International Design Management Symposium, Hong Kong, 3-5 December, hosted by the Design Management Institute of USA and Tsinghua University
- Xu, F. 2010 ‘Analyizing the ‘Square Phenomena’ in the Last Decade in P.R. China’, paper presented to 4th International Conference of Built Environments in Developing Countries (ICBEDC), Penang, Malaysia, 1-3 December
- Xu, F. 2010 ‘Studies of Asian Students’ Learning Experience & Project Models of Design Studio Practice’, paper presented to Connected 2010 - 2nd International Conference on Design Education, UNSW, Sydney, 28 June - 1 July
- Xu, F. 2009 ‘Analysis on the Relationship between Designers & Clients in China’s Design Market’, Design 2 Business 2009 & Tsinghua International Design Management Symposium, pp. 242-245, hosted by University of Salford & Tsinghua University, Beijing, 1 - 2 April
- Xu, F. 2007 ‘Design from Within’, Designer Section, iTASTE, Beijing, vol. 10, pp. 7 - 9.
- Xu, F. 2007 ‘Planning & Design of Bijia Mountain Park in Shenzhen’, in China Architectural Culture Centre (ed.), Chinese & Overseas Landscapes: Recreation Landscape, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, vol. 8, pp. 88-89. http://www.upla.cn/mag/zwjg/
- Xu, F. 2007 Keynote Speaker of Top Designers Forum, 20 Years Anniversary of China Industrial Design Association, Beijing, China (http://www.visionunion.com/article.jsp?code=200708200029
- Xu, F. 2007 ‘Classic Beauty & Modern Style’, Life Express Magazine, vol. 8, pp.73-89, Shanghai, China
- Xu, F. 2007 ‘Between & Across’, Life Express Magazine, vol. 7, pp. 57-73, Shanghai, China
- Xu, F. & Xu, L. 2006 Building Into Landscape. China International Press, Hong Kong
- Xu. F. & Zhang, X. W. 2005 ‘Space Combination & Space Notation Applied in Design of Square-taking Century Square in Wenzhou as an example’, Journal of Huazhong Architecture, vol. 23, no. 4, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China, pp. 45 - 46 http://d.wanfangdata.com.cn/Periodical_hzjz200504015.aspx http://www.airitilibrary.com/Publication/alDetailedMesh?docid=1003739x-200508-23-4-45-46-a