Bankstown Arts Centre is seeking enthusiastic and professional tutors.
Ceramic Tutors for facilitating the Kids and Adults Ceramics Programs at Bankstown Arts Centre as well as running art workshops during the school holiday programs. The teacher is responsible for instructing and guiding the participants in ceramic processes such as hand building and glazing. Thorough knowledge of firing and operation of the kiln is desirable.
Visual Art Tutors for facilitating the Preschool, Kids and Adult Visual Art Programs including painting, drawing, printmaking, jewellery and digital media. Experience delivering similar art programs is desirable and experience in teaching kids and adults are essential. Ideally, you will have a current Senior First Aid certificate, Working with Children Check and are responsible for your own Public Liability Insurance (20 million). Classes run with a minimum 10 students and a maximum of 15 students.
The position is responsible for facilitating and teaching quality arts classes that cater to the needs of all participants in a safe and friendly environment.
- Planning, development and delivery of classes/workshops as discussed with the Bankstown Arts Centre Director.
- To facilitate classes in an enthusiastic, positive manner to foster and develop the art skills of all students.
- To communicate any concerns or issues arising during the program with the centre staff.
- To report on the progress of the program during term.
- To set-up room/s and be onsite 30 mins prior to class commencing and to pack away all utilised equipment and materials at the end of each session, preparing room/s for use by following groups/s.
- To produce class outlines for term classes and school holiday workshops for which the tutor is responsible.
- To provide due care of children undertaking a class under your supervision, ensuring that proper use of equipment/materials is adhered to at all time.
Knowledge/ Skills and Experience
- Suitable qualifications in the relevant field of creative arts.
- Professional experience teaching children and adults.
- Ability to supervise a group of 10-15 people in a room/outdoor environment and work with confidence in a classroom type environment.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to liaise consistently with Arts Centre staff on the progress of the program and develop written materials for art classes and school holiday programs.
- Hold current Senior First Aid Certificate.
- A current Working with Children Check under the NSW Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012 is required for this position.
- Hold current Public Liability Insurance (20 million) for teaching purpose.
- Experience teaching/ training people with disabilities.
- Artists/ arts tutors based in Western Sydney are preferred.
- For ceramic tutors, thorough knowledge of firing and operation of the kiln is desirable.
Send a short CV, a cover letter addressing the knowledge and skills and experience outlined, and up to five images of your work to Bankstown Arts Centre Director Vandana Ram.
For more information call the centre Ph: 02 9707 9989.
- The position may be required to attend meeting or training sessions.
- Tutor availabilities will be required to be submitted prior to each term when requested by staff.
- Tutor must submit class outlines for visual art classes and ceramic classes 4 weeks prior to commence of the class.
- Cancellation Policy: Unless otherwise agreed, one week’s notice will be given if a class/workshop is going to be cancelled as a result of low participation rates. Bankstown Arts Centre reserves the right to evaluate minimum participation rates.