Applications for Australian students to participate in the MADE by the Opera House program in Denmark in January/February 2018 are now open.
Established to mark the Sydney Opera House's 40th Anniversary in 2013, MADE by the Opera House is an Australian-Danish exchange program that, in the lead up to the 50th Anniversary in 2023, will create an alumnus group of 100 students to continue the international and interdisciplinary links first forged by Jørn Utzon's masterpiece. Each year, five students from a NSW university and five students from a Danish tertiary institution will participate in the program in Denmark and Australia respectively.
Also known as the Multidisciplinary Australian Danish Exchange, MADE is an extra-curricular program offered to Australian and Danish students of architecture, engineering and design (in the built environment) in their 2nd year of study or above.
The aims of MADE are to:
• Promote international and multidisciplinary interaction between students of architecture, engineering and design (in the built environment);
• Foster cultural relationships between Denmark and Australia; and
• Support the knowledge and understanding of Danish architect Jørn Utzon and the Utzon Design Principles.
Five students will be selected for each program. The students will form a multidisciplinary team to collaborate on a six-week project, developed by the MADE by the Opera House program partners and aligned with the Utzon Design Principles. The five MADE students will:
• Be placed at a host firm for six weeks to work as a multidisciplinary team on an assigned project;
• Collaborate with various prestigious built environment professionals, who will provide technical advice and mentorship;
• Participate in study tours, masterclasses and workshops relevant to the program;
• Submit a group project report and individual reflection statements at the end of the program; and
• Have the opportunity to reside at Jørn Utzon’s Can Lis residence in Mallorca, Spain, in the week prior to program commencement.
All instruction will be conducted in English. A MADE by the Opera House representative will provide ground support to the students, including opportunities to meet MADE Alumni.