Learning to Teach Online - A Free Course
Course open! A new session begins every month. Enrol now.
The Learning to Teach Online (LTTO) six week course will help you develop a working understanding of successful online teaching strategies that you can apply in your own practice.
About the course
Are you an educator? Have you ever wanted to understand more about how to design your class to make better use of educational technology – whether fully online or in blended contexts? Would you like to learn from those who have extensive practical experience with online technologies?
Integrating online technologies into your teaching can be a challenging prospect, and it can be difficult to know how to approach it effectively for the benefit of both students and yourself. No one knows your own content and teaching strengths better than you, and the “one size fits all” formula doesn’t always suit everyone.
No matter what type of technology you are interested in exploring or your level of experience, this course will help you draw on your teaching strengths and find the approach that is right for you, your students and your educational context.
What will I learn?
This course will guide you through your journey of understanding how online technologies can enhance your course design. You will have the opportunity to develop your understanding of effective online teaching practices and their relationship to the use of different technologies. You will also be encouraged to progressively design and reflect upon your own online learning activity, assessment or resource for use in your own class if you choose to undertake the course assignments.
Who is this course for?
The free course is designed to help existing educators establish or improve their own online or blended teaching practices, and is suitable for all teachers in higher education, elementary, college, vocational or private education. There is no requirement for participants to possess prior knowledge or experience of online teaching practices or related technologies. This course is relevant for those who are:
- New to online or blended teaching or those wishing to improve their current practice
- Interested in educational technology and/or online instruction
- Involved in higher education, K-12, community college, vocational or corporate training
- Continuing professional development to increase their relevance and value to the contemporary workplace
- Learning and teaching professionals (education developers, instructional designers, etc).
Awards and Recognition
The contributions of Learning to Teach Online to educators worldwide have been recognised with awards by international educational bodies.
- 2011 Ascilite Innovation and Excellence Award. Exemplary and research informed use of technologies for teaching and learning in tertiary education
- 2012 MERLOT Award for Exemplary Online Learning Resources – MERLOT Classics (USA). Faculty Development Editorial Board Award
- 2015 Wharton-QS Stars Reimagine Education Awards. Regional Oceania (2nd place), Arts And Humanities (2nd place), Nurturing Employability (joint 3rd place).
In addition, the LTTO MOOC was the only Australian course to be included in US President Obama’s 2015 ConnectEd program of continuing education accreditation. It was also included in the Trinidad and Tobago government’s Knowledge TT program to enhance local learning opportunities.
Join the Learning to Teach Online Community
Thousands of educators have joined the online teaching conversations that extend beyond the course. Get in touch with like minded colleagues and share ideas by: